Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cruelty-Free Eats in Raleigh

Not everyone is vegan or vegetarian, but we all pretty much know someone who is at this point. I'm sure anyone reading this knows Anne is vegan, and here are a few places we've found where she can get a good meal (read: not just a salad), and I can also eat very well.

From Anne's blog:

Cruelty-Free Eats in Raleigh

The South is known for pulled pork barbecue, buttered biscuits, and deep fried everything. Becoming vegan in the fried chicken mecca of the world, I was nervous and a little intimidated by the thought of finding food in restaurants that I could eat. But I have come to realize that the Triangle offers tons of vegan and vegetarian-friendly options, if you know where to look. Many locally owned restaurants take advantage of NC farmers and mold their menus around fresh, local produce. With a substitution here and there, I’ve found it easy and delicious to eat vegan in Raleigh. Here are my top three restaurant picks:

1. Lilly’s Pizza, Five Points.

Ask me what my last meal would be and I would respond without hesitation, “Lilly’s pizza.” I’ll admit, I’m a pizza fanatic despite my nixing of animal products. It’s the one food I could not get off my mind when I decided to become vegan. When I heard that Lilly’s offers veganrella (it’s just what it sounds like) as a topping option, my eyes welled up with joyful tears. Ever since, Lilly’s has been a staple in my diet. They offer an abundance of super fresh toppings for their pies, and their menu also features calzones, pastas, and salads. They even have a vegan stromboli, stuffed with grilled tofu. My boyfriend, a half-Italian boy from New Jersey (and a self-proclaimed pizza snob) swears Lilly’s has some of the best pizza he’s ever tasted. The hole-in-the-wall pizza place has been continually awarded “Best in the Triangle” by The Independent. One warning: If you aren’t in the mood for close quarters, yelling servers, and thick smoke from the kitchen, call ahead and order for pickup. The place is always jam-packed, no matter what time of the day. Despite the crowd, it’s a fun place to eat. The eclectic decor and showcase of art from local artists will always keep you entertained while dining. Just go!

2. Irregardless Cafe, W. Morgan St. by Charlie Goodnight’s

Irregardless has been a Raleigh cornerstone for vegetarians long before I was born. Actually, my dad used to take my mom on dates there when he was a student at N.C. State in the seventies. When Irregardless opened its doors in 1975, it was a vegetarian-only restaurant. Since then, the owners have altered the menu to include fare for meat eaters as well. But, locally grown fruits and vegetables are still at the heart of the Irregardless experience. The owners take a trip to Raleigh’s farmer’s market daily to pick out fresh produce. The menu changes often, but always includes at least two or three vegan entrees. I am completely hooked on the portobello polenta. The portobello is grilled to give it a smokey, meaty taste, and the polenta is so smooth, it almost melts in your mouth. My mom and I had our Thanksgiving dinner at Irregardless last year. As usual, they offered a satisfying vegan alternative to the traditional turkey dinner: stuffed butternut squash with a fresh cranberry salad. And the desserts! I always save room for dessert when I go. So far, I’ve tried the vegan chocolate cake, the fresh blueberry crisp, and a vegan peach tart - all of which have been surprisingly delicious to not have used milk or eggs. Tables are tight, but the restaurant features live music nightly. If you are in Raleigh, it’s a must visit.

3. Solomon’s Mediterranean, Celebration at Six Forks

Greek food, and most Mediterranean food in general, is usually vegetarian and vegan-friendly. And when I want Greek, I always go to Solomon’s. Brian took me here after noticing a portobello pita wrap on the menu that he thought I would love. The mushroom is sliced and lightly breaded, drizzled with a generous helping of a sweet and tangy balsamic dressing, and wrapped in a warm pita stuffed with lettuce and tomato. The wrap quickly became one of my favorite meals. And of course, no Greek restaurant would be complete without my favorite appetizer - homemade tahini hummus with warm pita bread and olives. Mm-mm good.

I’m always on the look out for new, vegan-friendly restaurants to try, so if you have any tips, please let me know!

Next on my list to try: The Flying Biscuit, Cameron Village. My friend Danielle tipped me off that this popular restaurant in Cameron Village offers a variety of vegan options, including Tofu’N’Tater salad. And for those who are meat eaters, TFB specializes in non stop breakfast, and interesting entrees like Coca-Cola glazed salmon.

4 comments:

  1. The Flying Biscuit is also in Charlotte, in Stonecrest. I've eaten there once and thought it was really good! It has very unique food. I wasn't specifically looking for vegan/vegetarian, but they also offer healthier alternatives (turkey bacon instead of regular) and lots of whole wheat & organic stuff. Let me know what you think when you try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh...I had no idea there was one of those in Charlotte. We're definitely going to try this place out though.

    I mean, anytime a place has more than one vegan option or things other than salads and veggie burgers, we make it a point to go.

    Plus, that Coca-Cola glazed salmon sounds pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, gotta come to the Rockford on Glenwood. I can cook you up some awesome vegan sandwiches. Or I guess cook Anne some vegan dishes and you some uber-meaty sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not aware that you work at the Rockford. I know Anne's always up for trying new places with vegan options.

    And I think you'd be hard-pressed to get me to turn down an "uber-meaty" sandwich.

    Count me in!

    ReplyDelete