Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'll be your whatever you want

A few songs I'm into right now:

"Cannonball" by The Breeders

The Breeders were formed by Kim Deal (bassist from the Pixies), and this is the song they're probably most-known-for in mainstream rock. Killer bass riff.



"Say It Ain't So" by Weezer

This song really needs no introduction. If you don't like this song, you're doing it wrong.



"Little Willy" by Sweet

I have absolutely no idea why this song entertains me so much. Anne said it sounds like it's from Barney and Friends or something. Well, shit. All I know is it's catchy as hell. Gotta love the ridiculous 70s outfits too.



"Somewhere in the Between" by Streetlight Manifesto

If this sounds like Catch 22 to you, that's because the lead singer of SM is Tomas Kalnoky, the guy who provided the distinctive vocals of what I consider to be Catch 22's glory days. In fact, if you're so inclined, you can check out SM's version of the album "Keasbey Nights," which is almost an exact reproduction of the kick-ass album of the same name by Catch 22 (back when Kalnoky was still with the band). Anyway, this song is great. Epic ska song.



"In My Life" by The Beatles

Without a doubt, my favorite Beatles' song. This song hit me hard when my grandfather died back in October 2000. It was the only song I cared to listen to for approximately two or three weeks surrounding the funeral. It's been almost a decade now, and time does wonders for the cooling and calming of emotions. But playing this song still takes me back to the long ride in the limo from my grandparents' condo to the synagogue and, eventually, to the cemetery. I still love the song. I was exceedingly pleased with myself about four years ago when I figured out I could play the basics of this song on the guitar. So good.



"Take on Me" by Reel Big Fish

Because a music post where I don't mention Reel Big Fish is just incomplete. This is one of my favorite songs they play, and here's a live video showing exactly why I love this band so much. Take the energy they play with in this song and multiply that by two hours, and that's a live RBF show. There's a reason I've seen these guys live eight times. Love the off-beat hi-hat to start the song -- this is also one of my favorite songs to play on my drums.



Well, I think that's a diverse-enough collection of music for now. Go forth and love these songs as I do.

-BG

1 comment:

  1. take off little willy and i'm aiight with this list.

    ReplyDelete