Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Whoops

I seem to have neglected my little Island in the Sun for a few days there. My bad guys. My bad.

See, the problem is I haven't really worked it into the "routine" just yet. And if you know me, you know how much I love routines. I find one that works, and I don't just stick with it -- I run it into the ground.

It takes an act of Congress to remove me from my routine.

I think it's a family thing. Change and my family don't get along too well. Lately, this has been my routine:

Wake up at 9.
Fart around on the Internet for an hour or so.
Take Allie for a three-mile walk around Shelley Lake.
Shower and lunch.
Work on the resume/look around for jobs/other unemployment related activities.
Play the drums/guitar.
Take Allie for a twoish-mile walk up the street.
Eat dinner.
Watch some TV.
Read and bed.

Try to contain your excitement. So yeah. I need to throw "blog" or "think about blog" into the routine. Maybe somewhere in the "Farting around on the Internet" stage of my day.

Another part of the problem is I didn't want this blog to be a lame "HERE'S WHAT I DID TODAY!!1" kind of blog. That's why I have the music posts, and the post from Anne's blog.

Any 8-year-old can start a diary about what they've done all day. But I'm an actual writer. I've been paid, professionally, for writing. So I wanted this to be an interesting, insightful, even funny(!) blog, rather than a step-by-step posting of my daily activities.

And I've struggled with ideas, mostly because all my functional brain activity has been devoted to thinking about jobs -- specifically, not having a job, how to go about procuring the next job, where the money is going to come from next month, etc.

On that front, my aunt (the basketball coach up north) is going to be in town recruiting at the end of this week. I'll go meet up with her and give her several hundred copies of my resume. She really does know the entire world, and if you're hoping to get hired in job markets like this, that's how to do it. So we'll see what happens.

I've noticed I start sentences with the word "so" quite a lot. Way more than I realized. That's strange.

Any ideas for interesting blog posts? I've got a couple, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Laaaater,
-BG

2 comments:

  1. i think you should write about why people guess where you are in messages...for example, i called anne today and said "so hey, just calling to say what's up.. YOU'RE PROBABLY AT WORK OR SOMETHING...got news for you"
    OR i'll call joanna and say "soo you're probably finishing up work, or eating dinner with adam"
    why do people do this? to justify them not picking up the phone?
    ok, so this is NOT an interesting post to most, but i would enjoy it. thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of phone calls, you should write about people who call and call and call and call and call. ok, so that's mean of me. but still! do it!

    ReplyDelete