Friday, September 2, 2011

Dear Erik

Two years is a long-ass time my friend. It's strange because on one hand, I can't believe how fast two years has gone, but on the other hand, it feels like an eternity since I last saw you and spoke to you.

There are no words. I miss you like crazy every day. I think about you every day. It hurts so much, man. Even more so around this time of year. Seven years ago we moved into our suite in Bragaw. Seven years. What in the world.

You should be here so we can talk about all the insane shit that happened in those few months we lived there. I mean, did we pack some times into those four months, or what? Jesus. I can still hear your bass shaking the dorm walls. And I can still see you sitting there reading somehow in the face of jet-engine-level noise.

We should be able to go to East Village and take blue crush shots until we can't remember our names. We should be able to go walk around Bragaw and remember all of our nonsense. Like that night when we all walked over to the baseball field and hung out on the field. Fuck, dude.

I could have used some of your tough-love advice lately. You always had a way of just cutting right to the heart of the matter. You'd call me out if that's what I needed, and I probably needed it this time haha. It's been a hell of a few months, buddy. Hell of a few months.

You know, I look at the picture of us from my grad school graduation celebration, and I see your bright smile so full of life. It makes me so angry that you were taken away so young. It's not fair. When Danielle called me two years ago, whew. One of the worst phone calls I've ever gotten. I collapsed in my room. I went to work and sat in my office with the door closed and cried all day.

Fucking cancer, man. It's the worst. We've had a team in your name for the past two years in the Bark for Life event the American Cancer Society runs, and we're doing it again this year. No one will ever forget you or your fight, and if we can raise any money to fight this bullshit disease, then let's do it. I am making it my mission to get back to the area and actually walk this year.

You know what? That's enough of the sadness. Pretty sure you would have punched me in the stomach already if you were here and I was acting like this. So I'll close with some fun memories.

I'll be thinking about my 26th birthday at East Village, where you kind of assumed the responsibility of making sure I had no recollection of the evening. For the most part, great success, my friend. I only very vaguely remember the drive to your apartment (don't worry, I wasn't driving). And then, passing out on your couch and waking up the next morning in my bed somehow. Hey oh.

And your surprise birthday party in May 2009 at Danielle's house and the "HAPPY BIRTDAY" cake. Well done, cake decorator.

Or how about that time we went to the NCSU/Miami football game back in 2004 when College GameDay was on campus, and we printed up thumbs up/down signs to bring to the game.

We were sitting on opposite sides of the stadium, so we used the signs to see where we were. Pretty sure we used a lot of thumbs downs that night.

I have to say, I would have loved to see how ridiculous things would have been if you could have visited me in DC. I can't even imagine haha. Anyway, you better believe I'm throwing down some Jack-and-Cokes tonight.

Love you and miss you forever, my friend.

-BG

P.S. If anyone wants to check out Erik's Bark for Life page, head over here. If you feel moved to donate, thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you're in the Triangle area on Sunday, Nov. 6, bring your dog and come walk with the team. I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment