Thursday, August 25, 2011

MTV Challenge: Rivals

On Tuesday, I was in the process of contemplating what I was going to write for Wednesday's post, and for a variety of reasons, I just wasn't feeling it.

Then, my friend Mike (of the blog, PPD, Rain) gchats me that he has a pretty solid idea for a blog entry. He wanted to do a running diary of the finale for the Rivals Challenge on MTV. "Do you want to do a joint post about it?"

Do I?!

Now, this show is most definitely a guilty pleasure of mine, so I knew this was a brilliant idea. We immediately agreed no one else would care about this but us, but they're our blogs, so screw it.

Funny story about Mike and me. We started out as just mutual acquaintances who played in the same fantasy baseball league. Then, we realized we're probably two of the biggest baseball fans we each know, so we started talking on gchat pretty much every day. We've gotten to be pretty good friends now, and we've only met in person, like, two or three times total. Lulz.

Anyway, we hopped on gchat last night for the 10 p.m. finale and talked about it for a good hour and 15 minutes or so. Below is the chat transcript, which starts at 9:55 p.m. and goes through around 11:10 p.m. or so.

The only editing I did was to remove unnecessary spaces and very light grammar corrections just to make sure it was, you know, readable.

So read up below, and be sure to check out Mike's blog, PPD, Rain, for his super excellent stories.

Brian: So we've got about five minutes before what I can only imagine will be the incredible finale to Challenge: Rivals. Gotta say, I'm not that happy about catching the last five minutes of Teen Mom.

Mike: Just let me know when I should turn...they are still talking about the "fatigue" game on ESPNU about the U. I think Mike Irvin just robbed someone.

Brian: I hated changing the channel off of that, they were just talking about when Irvin was challenging some hitmen to a gunfight. Interesting decisions and the people who make them.

Mike: OK off to MTV!

Brian: so any preliminary thoughts?

Mike: OK I think we should give odds. So the players are..Mike and Leroy, Kenny and Wes, Johnny and Tyler.

Brian: I think it's Johnny and Tyler's to lose. The previews last week made it seem like Wes hurts himself in this one, which, by the way, I'm all for. NOT a Wes fan.

Mike: well he was a pansy in a previous elimination challenge.

Brian: yeah see I hate that I've only seen the past two challenges. But here's the thing for me, I'm a HUGE fan of CT, and that's hard for me to say given his Boston connection. But he was just such a badass, I couldn't help myself

Mike: true. OK so I think Johnny and Tyler are the favorites

Brian: Agreed, but I'll be rooting hardcore for Mike/Leroy

Mike: yeah me too. I love Mike. he is the everyman. he hasn't done steroids, or at least he hides it really well.

Brian: plus, he's not in the ridiculous alliance. and here's another strike for Wes in my book. I may or may not be (but definitely am) in love with Cara Maria. I can't explain it, but there it is, and Wes gave her WAY too hard of a time for no reason

Mike: she looks like she hasn't showered in weeks. OK here we go!

Brian: heck yes. LET'S GO

Mike: so how about in the girls? you're obviously pulling for Cara Maria and Laurel

Brian: yes definitely, but it's hard to see how Evelyn/Paula aren't the favorites

Mike: yeah I hate Paula. I think I'm pulling for Jenn and Mandi

Brian: yeah I'm indifferent on Paula, but I also have a crush on Evelyn, who I'm told is a lesbian

Mike: yea it seems like I remember that, but I could have made it up. OK Johnny and Tyler look great in the kayak

Brian: ever been kayaking? kayaking is tough man. what a workout

Mike: yeah we just signed up for an adventure race that we have to kayak 11 miles

Brian: whew that's no joke

Mike: yeah we'll see

Brian: and now they have to carry boulders around. I would LOVE to be in the MTV meetings when they're coming up with this stuff

Mike: I would like to see how much roids these guys take to be able to run and lift a ton of things

Mike: I hate the memory challenges. I would be AWFUL

Brian: yeah that's ridiculous and then to have to run and do all that nonsense. I have absolutely no confidence in my ability to memorize the physical location of all those items in the campsite

Brian: look at Mike using his brain! breaking the rock to spread the weight around

Mike: yeah I’m liking their chances here. the memorization seems like it SHOULD be a strength of his

Brian: at some point, we have to consider this is just plain cruel, right? I mean, shoveling dirt into a wheel barrow

Mike: it's America’s 5th major sport!

Brian: haha and then Wes accidentally breaks the rock. what an ape

Mike: WOW building a tent

Brian: oh man. I don't believe I've ever successfully built a tent

Mike: me either. I've never been camping

Brian: WOW they have to go all the way back if they don't get the campsite exactly identical

Mike: and I'm completely okay with that

Brian: and commercial. thoughts so far?

Mike: OK at the first break I think this is not as crazy as ones I’ve seen in the past, but I like where it's heading. I think the memory challenge could be the difference maker

Brian: oh yeah

Mike: if Mike and Leroy get it...they will win

Brian: well we just saw the most physically intimidating female team (Evelyn and Paula) has to go all the way back and restudy the campsite

Brian: if Cara Maria can get over Laurel whispering in her ear how this is the most important thing in her life...geez, and you're totally right about Mike and Leroy. Mike knows he's not as athletic as the other guys, but he's got the brain challenges for sure.

Mike: yep

Brian: and you know Wes is going to screw up the campsite memory game. and we're back! here we go.

Brian: ah poor Cara Maria and Laurel going back

Mike: and Jenn is crying

Brian: Wes. my god. on what planet is walking around with broken pieces of rocks in your SOCKS a good idea?

Mike: I do love those rocks in his socks, and where are Mike and Leroy??

Brian: OK, I would be remiss if I did not express great joy at the uniforms the females have to wear

Mike: "who the f*** goes camping" love that

Brian: haha YES. let's go Mike and Leroy! Wow Jenn and Mandy's tent wasn't even standing completely

Mike: "everything wrong"

Brian: LET'S GO CARA MARIA AND LAUREL! oh man I am PUMPED. I love you Cara. and Wes and Kenny and Johnny and Tyler are getting sent back again. C'moooon Mike and Leroy

Mike: this is huge for them

Brian: there you go boys. next commercial break and Jenn is having a breakdown

Mike: yep. she's been breaking down for awhile. they are done

Brian: yup

Mike: 0 dollars

Brian: I mean, food poisoning. I can't believe she and Tyler are this far

Brian: now that last segment, the way it was edited – did Leroy and Mike have to go back at all?

Mike: I don't think so, but the other two did right?

Brian: yeah at least twice each I think, but it seemed like Mike and Leroy STILL got out in third with the editing on that

Mike: at least twice?

Brian: well, not MORE than twice. twice each

Mike: but maybe thrice?

Brian: can't rule it out

Mike: should we rewind and see?

Brian: nah, not THAT important

Mike: agreed.

Brian: I have to say, I like having the commercials to kind of reflect on what has happened so far, which is surprising. I expected to be annoyed #firstworldproblems

Mike: ok we're back!

Brian: oh my GOD. an eating challenge

Mike: I bet they have to eat it all. yep!

Brian: WOW

Mike: this is not going to end well

Brian: no way

Mike: food poisoning too

Brian: Cara speaking of "getting it and getting it and getting it and getting it.” THAT IS WHAT SHE SAID

Mike: hahaha

Mike: this is some heavy food too

Brian: I'm with Kenny there. I’m an Italian from NJ. I could totally do this if it were just isolated, but with the physical stuff afterward, no way.

Mike: as a 2-time Krispy Kreme challenge completer, it's tough

Brian: oh wow. Krispy Kreme challenge is LEGIT

Mike: Leroy and Mike still aren’t there yet

Brian: just showing up. I can't believe they were so far behind

Mike: yeah me either

Brian: I'm having some gagging issues over here

Mike: DING DING

Brian: I have not vomited in nearly 20 years. it's kind of a phobia for me now, but if I see it, hear it or smell it, I start gagging

Mike: I actually don't even mind it too much. I would rather do it then feel terrible.

Mike: oh gross. I liked TV better when they couldn't show this stuff

Brian: aaand I'm back. covered my eyes and ears for a bit

Mike: and Wes is down!

Brian: oh WOW that is seriously bizarre

Mike: oh my gosh

Brian: what in the WORLD is going on with Wes' knee?

Mike: I have no idea what that was, but he should be drinking some gatorade or something

Mike: GIVE THE MAN A GEL -- side note...those things are amazing and have gotten me through several races

Brian: I don't feel as good about Mike/Leroy anymore

Brian: and Kenny is carrying Wes. well then

Mike: I’m still putting Mike and Leroy in 2nd. Wes is such a pansy

Brian: I hate Wes. I like Kenny though

Mike: yeah me too

Brian: I had no idea what their beef was, but my sister filled me in. apparently Wes had a fiance and was a total DICK to her. and then Kenny slept with her or something. ON A CHALLENGE SHOW

Brian: hey oh

Mike: haha yeah I had forgotten that

Brian: that's a LEGIT rival thing. these others are all like, "so and so talked shit behind my back"

Mike: Ev and Paula look good so far

Brian: yeah man, they're setting the female pace, it seems. oh WOW. spending the night!

Mike: IN THE MORNING. let's go!

Brian: twist!

Mike: I’m really surprised they didn't make this last another week

Brian: I know! it seems like there is so much they could have shown. and let's be serious, I totally would have watched

Mike: of course. we would have done this 2 straight weeks

Brian: haha YES

Mike: and we probably would have half the readers next week. what's half of 1?

Brian: I feel like it's appropriate to point out right now that we understand we're the only ones who care about this at all. but when you suggested doing this, I was blown away by the brilliance of the idea

Mike: yeah people definitely aren't reading this anymore

Brian: yeah can you believe Nick is such an idiot

Mike: Does nick even read our blogs?

Brian: Doubt it!

Mike: not a chance

Brian: FRIEND FAIL

Mike: he's a top 10 friend for letting you down

Brian: then again, he can't be bothered to hop on gchat more than once every two weeks

Mike: yep

Brian: and we're back!

Mike: yes! sleep or stand. so they are pretty much making everything even. so what are the rules here?

Brian: WOW. sounds like they switch every hour. one person standing on the rock, one person "sleeping"

Mike: oh wow

Brian: wow...DQed. Jenn and Mandi. DONE

Mike: and DONE. Jenn has to be 35

Brian: when they have to stop a team because it would be too dangerous to continue...whew. hey this means Cara Maria and Laurel are getting some money! let's go!

Mike: so who are you betting on now?

Brian: man I don't know...this is a hell of a twist. completely resets the race

Mike: yep

Brian: oh my god. that's not a very big rock to stand on

Mike: nope. this is going to get interesting

Brian: ohhh I see. they switch when someone falls off the rock

Mike: oh ok

Brian: HECK YES Cara Maria. that's right, be satisfied because Wes sucks

Mike: Kenny is a bad partner by berating Wes

Brian: right. Wes is the worst. Wes wouldn't have even gotten that far if Kenny didn't LITERALLY carry his lame ass

Brian: I'm liking Wes less and less the more I watch. he can dish it out, but as soon as someone turns the spotlight on him. can't hang

Mike: his best moment was when it was him and a girl in a challenge....they went to the elimination every single week and dominated

Brian: gah I'm so upset it took me so long to get into this show. it's on the DVR schedule from now on though

Mike: haha

Brian: I have to say, I can't help but wonder how much more awesome this would be if CT were still going

Mike: I think Adam would have folded by now

Brian: probably so

Mike: CT would have carried him though

Brian: no doubt. dude is a serious monster. big fan of his

Mike: Leroy is a champ

Brian: I can't believe Leroy is thinking of food after that eating challenge. yeah Leroy will be LEGIT going forward

Mike: he's definitely earned some respect

Brian: that's a HUGE mountain. wow racing to the top

Mike: oh wow and only a 2-minute head start after winning the day before

Brian: after everything they did the previous day, and it only gives you 2 minutes? geez

Brian: C'MON MIKE, don't quit

Mike: Mike and Leroy are done

Brian: yeah I can't imagine them finishing in the money, but don't quit. TJ doesn't like quitters.

Brian: LET'S GO CARA

Mike: haha I’m indifferent in the girls

Brian: how long before Wes breaks down? soon, right? haha

Mike: you'd think so. wow Mike and Leroy are quitting!

Brian: damn but you know when TJ even admits it's OK to quit, it's going to be terrible

Mike: Mike was a beast this challenge

Brian: this mountain is ridiculous. I can't even imagine climbing this thing for a several hours

Mike: wasn't it like 4 hours?

Brian: YES

Mike: jeez

Brian: ridiculous. so here's what I'm thinking so far. I hate Wes, but I like Kenny a lot, so they cancel each other out. and I don't have any strong feelings toward Johnny or Tyler

Mike: yeah I hated Johnny in previous challenges. he and Kenny were together. they both put Wes in the elimination round every time

Brian: now with the girls. obviously Evelyn and Paula are a stronger team. they're built for success for the duration of a long challenge

Mike: I think it's a no brainer that they win but Paula has never won anything, so there’s that.

Brian: well and with the way this race keeps resetting and eliminating advantages, and with how strong a player Laurel is...she could absolutely pick Cara up for a short-term burst

Mike: haha I don't think they'll do that

Brian: haha I don't mean LITERALLY pick her up, but you know

Mike: WOW Johnny and Tyler

Brian: wow Johnny and Tyler find their key and start racing to the box at the top of the mountain

Mike: oh this is close

Brian: Coming down to the wire

Mike: this is definitely the closest I’ve seen

Brian: Johnny and Tyler take the win! I'm happy with that result

Mike: it's funny how they get so excited about 100k, 50k a piece. It’s a lot of money, but I mean that's not a great year haha

Brian: haha yeah not for what they have to go through. damn Paula and Evelyn take it for the girls

Mike: I mean it's worth 50k. I’d do that for 50k

Brian: yeah well I have a heights thing. I don't know if I could do it

Mike: for 50k? you would do it.

Mike: Ev and Paula are still hugging. kind of awkward

Brian: hey my girl Cara got second place. that's not bad at all. I'll take that

Mike: yep. you got to watch her for 2 months

Brian: exactly right!

Mike: here is the question...will you watch the reunion show next week?

Brian: YES. of course I will

Mike: I HATE the reunion shows. well mainly I hate the hosts

Brian: yeah that's hard to argue with. so any final thoughts on this season?

Mike: well I enjoyed it

Brian: absolutely

Mike: I loved the dynamic between the rivals but I felt like you said earlier...it was all very petty. no one really HATED each other. other than Kenny and Wes

Brian: maybe CT and Adam

Mike: yeah

Brian: they had some legit fights

Mike: CT tried to make up with him though. and Adam blew that last challenge

Brian: haha yes "are we friends yet?"

Mike: I don't know why CT didn't try and tackle Tyler

Brian: I know right. see my only CT experience was last year when they brought him in as a ringer for one of the Gulag elimination games. and he DESTROYED Johnny and Tyler

Mike: oh that was crazy

Brian: yeah so I really enjoyed this season. there wasn't nearly as much drama as I thought there'd be

Mike: yeah definitely

Brian: but when you are forced to work with people you supposedly hate and the prize is a shit-ton of money. it's going to heal some wounds

Mike: haha. this is true

Brian: well since only you and I will be reading this post down this far, we might as well wrap it up. this was fun...an excellent idea

Mike: I agree

Brian: maybe next time we'll pick something even FEWER people are interested in

Mike: we should never do it again haha

Mike: So before we go... how many clicks will we get and what is the average time people will view it total?

Brian: haha...well I think we'll get a normal amount of clicks because there are people who regularly read, and we might get a few cross-over clicks

Mike: I love those

Brian: I wish there was a way to track how many people read all the way to the bottom haha. no way it's more than 5 TOTAL across both blogs

Mike: yeah I’d maybe say less than that

Brian: WORTH IT.

Mike: YES

And there you have it. If you've made it down this far, wow. You are truly dedicated. You should leave a comment or something just so I know who actually read the whole thing haha. Congrats to you, and thank you, thank you for reading as always.

Back tomorrow!

-BG

1 comment:

  1. I read the whole thing. And I relived the entire show. And I'm annoyed I don't have an equally nerdy friend to live blog with me :(

    ReplyDelete