Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Erik Hrebenuyuk

This guy, man. This guy.



Five years ago, I moved into a suite in Bragaw Hall at N.C. State for my final semester of college. I can't even begin to explain the crazy things that happened that semester. A hundred stories for another day.

Erik was there for many them. He was there for ME for many of them, anyway. There were considerable shenanigans, and those shenanigans also included some of the toughest times of my life up to this point. Needless to say, I couldn't have gotten through any of it without friends like Erik. He helped me through a ton. Just a ton.



Three years ago, he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his pelvis. A few months later he was in remission. In April of 2008, it came back. Fiercely. We heard he had six months to a year to live. Well, Erik, you fought long and hard. But you're finally free.

Erik passed away just after midnight early this morning -- Sept. 2, 2009 -- more than a year and a half after that horrible prognosis.

So buddy, I'll think of you every time I drink on a Wednesday night. Every time I read a paper with strange capitalizations and an...interesting writing style. Every time I ever watch the movie Pineapple Express because James Franco sounds JUST like you in it.

I'll think of you every time we make plans to go out at night because you NEVER could commit. Always had to "see what my options are." :) Every time I think of the movie The Ladies' Man for that one scene: "It says here your interests are tennis and, what's this, does that say dabut?" "No, no, dat's da butt."

And Cook Out and "I'm Not OK" and Eurotrip and "Only One" and scotch and Risk ("Gen-u-ine and fortified") and Rise Against and "Beer" and a million other little things.

I'm cracking open a Rolling Rock and drinking with you on a Wednesday night one more time, just like we used to do it.

I love you, and I'll miss you. Rest in peace, Erik. You're finally free.

4 comments:

  1. I knew Eric once upon a time. He was a wonderful guy-I knew him as he was before the diagnosis, and while he was curious about his mysterious pains and the day he went to get his first MRI. He was worried that he was over reacting and was being whiney and apologized to me for leaving me with extra work since he had to take a few days off...I assured him that he knew his body and if the pain seemed strange-even though the x-rays and primary doctor visits were indicating it was nothing-then he needed to check it out.

    Eric is a sweet sweet intelligent man and I am lucky to have known him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about that. What a great guy -- we're all better for having known him. I'm so glad you shared your story here.

    That's just about the only way to get through things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Erik goin back to Scout's way back to 6th grade.

    We also shared 4 years of blood, sweat and tears on that rocky practice field every summer leading to those Friday Nights at the Little Big Horn.

    The ups of beating G-Rose for the FIRST time in EWHS football history, beating Goldsboro at Goldsboro our Sr year...the lows of seemingly driving back from Wilmington every damn time broken, bruised, busted and crying and having those cold, silent bus trips back home...

    Nothing can take away the times we had Brother. I'm proud to have served, bled, cried, laughed and most importantly lived by your side. Godspeed my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget taking Erik and two coworkers to a Thai restaurant for lunch perhaps two months before his diagnosis. When we got back to the lab, he leaned back in his chair, rubbed his stomach, and smiled. He talked about how satisfied he felt. A great meal, graduating from college, his first job, having moved into his own apartment, being on his own with his life ahead of him. It breaks my heart to think of how quickly that faded for him...and for his parents. But what I can say is, Erik was a good man. Erik has good friends. Erik gave all of us good memories. We won't forget him, his courage, his dedication to his friends. I loved reading every word posted by Masuma, Brian, and Dave. For me, Erik was a textbook example of a friend, as he was for so many of you. I am privileged to have known him.

    ReplyDelete